Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match
With more than 2 million real estate agents in the US, how do you pick the right one for you?
Valentine’s Day is almost here! The relationship between you and your real estate broker probably isn’t as meaningful as the relationship with your significant other, but it’s important to make a good match with an expert that you like and trust. After all, buying or selling a home is one of life’s biggest financial investments and you’re going to spend a lot of time together. So how do you find “the one” with more than 2 million real estate agents in the US? Today I’m sharing tips to help you fall in love with your agent and maintain a happy, healthy relationship.
When you’re looking for a real estate agent to represent you, ask:
- How long have you worked in real estate?
- How many clients do you have right now? What you really want to know is if the agent has enough time for you, and if there is anyone on their team that can meet your needs when they’re busy.
- What area do you typically cover? Find a neighborhood expert who is very familiar with the area where you’d like to buy a home. Most of our agents live and work locally, and they’re familiar with the local real estate market and its trends, and businesses, schools, etc.
- What price of homes do you typically help clients buy and sell? Make sure the agent is familiar with the market that you’re in; this will benefit you in negotiations.
- And remember, it’s always important to ask friends and family for referrals. Your best resource for finding an agent is usually through relationships not technology. Once you get a referral, then check out the agent’s social media pages and review sites.
Once you’ve found an agent to represent you, practice:
- Open communication – A good agent will set your expectations about the process and their role in the process, and it’s important that you’re also honest and direct about what you’re looking for.
- Patience – Homes are selling quickly in Clark County’s low inventory market, but it might take a little longer than usual for a buyer to find a home. Also, it’s important to be realistic about your requests and expectations, such as when you want to preview a home.
- Listening – Our broker’s have a lot of experience and can share valuable tips about the market, and advice about repairs and staging
- Connection – Be prepared to talk with your agent about your general life goals, values, and priorities. Our brokers like to create a plan that is tailormade for you and your dreams.
If you’re looking for an agent but haven’t found “the one,” please give me a call or stop by our office in downtown Washougal. We have 22 agents and I’d be more than happy to help you find the perfect partner to help make your real estate dreams come true!